Help Kids in Need Love to Read
Linda's Fundraising Adventure A Project of Read to a Child
I chose to share this picture with you of Cristian, an 8th grader at the K-8 Tobin School in Roxbury. He was in the Read to a Child Program for 4 years when he was in grades 1-4. As he was walking by our book area where children and mentors choose their books he stopped, sat down, and checked out a book.
This is one of those rare moments in school when you stop running around as an educator taking care of a million things and enjoy what you are seeing and all that it means. It validates that our work together makes a difference.
We had a little first grade boy at the King Open School in Cambridge get very excited this year when he was invited to begin the program. He keeps saying "I can't believe I won!" He had been on the waiting list hoping for a mentor.
All the children and the mentors are winners. The mentor/child bonds developed over the years sharing impressionable books will be remembered fondly forever.
The only thing that would make it even better is to serve more children in need. Your donation in any amount will help me do just that.
- $25 can get a series of chapter books into a child's hands
- $50 can provide screening and training of a volunteer
- $100 can sponsor a year-end celebration and certificates for the children in the program
- $250 can provide a school with new books customized to children's interests and teacher requests
- $500 can sponsor a child in Read to a Child's lunchtime reading program for a whole year!