Help Kids in Need Love to Read!
Employees at Wayfair Give Back A Project of Read to a Child
Help Open Up a World of Reading for a Child!
It's Proven: Reading Makes a Difference
Imagine where you would be if you were not able to read well! Reading aloud to children is the single most important activity for enabling eventual success in reading and improving the likelihood for success in school and life. Millions of at-risk children across the country don't receive this gift at home and are significantly behind more affluent peers when they reach elementary school. 80% of low-income students in the U.S. are not proficient readers by 4th grade.
Together, we can give thousands of kids a shot at a brighter future
Just one lunchtime a week can help bridge that gap. Read to a Child enlists 1,700 caring volunteers from more than 125 organizations across the country to dedicate their lunch hour once a week to visit over 30 elementary schools in greater Boston, Detroit, Hartford, Miami and Los Angeles. These volunteer reading mentors are paired with a struggling young reader during a school year (or multiple years). By reading read aloud to the child, they boost the child's literacy skills and self-confidence and foster a love of reading!
Readers from Wayfair are Making a Difference in Boston!
Over 35 employees from Wayfair volunteer each week at the Tobin School in Roxbury. For many of these children, this is the only time in their week when they can share a book with a caring adult. The impact is heartfelt and profound. We have seen it with our own eyes. We have proudly watched our kids grow from wary, reluctant readers into proud, confident students.
You Can Help!
Your donation can change the life of a child:
- $25 can get a series of chapter books into a child's hands
- $50 can provide screening and training of a volunteer
- $100 can sponsor a year-end celebration and certificates for the children in the program
- $250 can provide a school with new books customized to children's interests and teacher requests
- $500 can sponsor a child in Read to a Child's lunchtime reading program for a whole year!
- $1,000 or above will automatically add individuals, families and family foundations to the "Seuss Circle" Leadership Giving Level and can support a child for two years!
- $2,000 can also sponsor a child from first to fourth grade, building a powerful mentoring relationship that can be transformative!
- $5,000 can also sponsor 10 at-risk children for a year and will add you to the Champion Sponsorship Level!
- $10,000 can sponsor 20 at-risk children for a year and will also add you to the Visionary Sponsor Level of the Campaign and Major Supporter Level for Read to a Child. Individuals, families and family foundations will also be added to the "Caldecott Circle" Leadership Giving Level!