Help Kids in Need Love to Read!
Heidi's Fundraising Page A Project of Read to a Child
As Program Manager at Read to a Child in Boston, I get to witness profound mentor-child bonds as professionals volunteer to read to 1st through 4th grade children weekly. Many of our volunteers read to the same student for all four years.
One of my favorite parts of the job is bringing on new volunteers and coaching them with literacy strategies that allow for rich discussions while they read. Meanwhile, this is my second year reading to 2nd grader, Abdul, and I cherish our sessions where we get to explore fun books together!
Not all children at this critical juncture of literacy development are read to consistently by an adult, and this is where Read to a Child can help bridge that gap, expose them to new vocabulary and genres, and make reading fun!
We can make a difference by reading to even more kids. I am asking you to consider making a donation of any size to assist us in our efforts.
- $25 can get a series of chapter books into a child's hands
- $50 can provide screening and training of a volunteer
- $100 can sponsor a year-end celebration and certificates for the children in the program
- $250 can provide a school with new books customized to children's interests and teacher requests
- $500 can sponsor a child in Read to a Child's Lunchtime Reading Program for a whole year!
- and... $2,000 can sponsor a child in the program from first to fourth grade - this builds a powerful mentoring relationship that can be transformative for a child!
Thanks so much for your support!