"Children see magic because they look for it" - Christopher Moore
Mark's Fundraising Page 2018 A Project of Read to a Child
Help us raise $100,000 during National Reading Month in March to support 6,000 individualized reading sessions for at-risk elementary school children across the country. Currently, 80% of 4th graders from low-income families are not proficient in reading and 2/3rds of these children spend time on welfare or in jail!
Read to a Child, www.readtoachild.org, is a national nonprofit literacy and mentoring organization that inspires caring adults to read aloud regularly to at-risk children to create better opportunities for the child's future. Research shows that reading aloud to children is the single most important activity for eventual success in reading, a key factor for success in school, work, and life. When an adult reads aloud to a child, both parties have a joyful, rewarding experience that instills a love of reading, improves literacy skills, and enhances a child's self-confidence.
We can make a difference by reading to even more kids. I am asking you to consider making a donation of any size to assist us in our efforts.
- $25 can get a series of chapter books into a child's hands
- $50 can provide screening and training of a volunteer
- $100 can sponsor a year-end celebration and certificates for the children in the program
- $250 can provide a school with new books customized to children's interests and teacher requests
- $500 can sponsor a child in Read to a Child's Lunchtime Reading Program for a whole year!
- and... $2,000 can sponsor a child in the program from first to fourth grade - this builds a powerful mentoring relationship that can be transformative for a child!
I have been a part of this wonderful organization for over four years as a reader and a board member. I have witnessed first-hand the positive impact of this program. Your donation will be put to good use.
Thanks so much for your support!